2009年12月11日星期五

Temperatures are to fall below freezing the next 2 nights, my camillea bush is full of buds and a few blooms. ?

should I cover the bush or can it tolerate the cold?Temperatures are to fall below freezing the next 2 nights, my camillea bush is full of buds and a few blooms. ?
Camellia's tend to be pretty frost tolerant. If it's affected at all, the blooms might get a little wilty and brown. The buds should be fine. If you're really nervous, a sheet thrown over top should do just fine.Temperatures are to fall below freezing the next 2 nights, my camillea bush is full of buds and a few blooms. ?
Cover with cloth vs. plastic, like an old sheet and remove daily when sun comes up.
Cover with a heavier cloth material, not plastic. Plastic transfers cold, cloth insulates. Remember to uncover the plant once the temps are above freezing in the a.m. and recover by 10 pm. Ideally the cloth should reach to the ground as that's where the cold air will puddle.
My camelia does fine in a cold snap..it is over 4 years old..I live in northwest Florida(and yes we do get cold here)..where it will be down to 28 tonight..I also have a huge veggie garden that I grow veggies 12 months out of the year..i do what the citrus growers do here when a freeze is coming and right before sundown, or before it hits the freezing temperature I water my plants with a sprinkler heavily..the roots get water logged and the freeze cannot totally freeze the ground , thus saving the roots, and the water on the leaves of the plant will freeze and actually act as an insulator with the frost and winds..this saves the plants..the citrus growers will run thier sprinklers all night..I just water heavily right before the freeze
You can cover it with burlap and/or black plastic to help hold in the heat. A black plastic garbage bag should work fine.
Cover it just to be save. You may still lose a few buds, but it is better to be safe than sorry.
  • computer security
  • 没有评论:

    发表评论

     
    dry skin