2009年12月11日星期五

I planted a mum last Summer, in late July and it is starting to bloom already?

I planted three mums last summer in late July and it didn't bloom much in the fall. In fact, I wasn't sure they were going to make it. However, they survived the winter and started growing more in the spring. By the end of the spring all three mums were rather large and green. Now, two of the mums have buds that are getting ready to bloom...and it is June 30th! I think my mums are a little confused..as am I. Should I do anything to them or just let them be?I planted a mum last Summer, in late July and it is starting to bloom already?
in order to get mums to bloom for fall, one must 'pinch' them all thru the spring and early summer growing seasons.. up until July 4th for most areas...... this keeps them from budding, makes them produce lots of side shoots (more flowers later) and shorter, more compact plants..... after pinching the growing tips all spring and early summer, you'll have a great plant.....





since your plants are new, it's okay if they bloom out of 'time' this year, since you also didn't pinch 'em...... but next year, start as soon as they're about six or eight inches tall.... pinch the growing tips on every branch..... then do it when you see it's had a lot of new growth....and again.... up till the first week of July ... that will give them just enuff time to set buds and bloom in late Aug or Sept....





while pinching, be sure to feed....





http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/pinchmums鈥?/a>I planted a mum last Summer, in late July and it is starting to bloom already?
Let them be, some mums flower at different times. Years ago it used to be a fall flower
Plants that bloom every year react to temperature to bloom. For instance my crape myrtle tree has to experience a certain degree of temperature for a certain amount of days in order for it to bloom. In the case of your mums they received those days of heat and are now responding (i blame it on global warming). There really isn't much you can do about it right now, I read somewhere that you can try pinching the flowers off but I don't recommended that I think you should let mother nature correct this problem.

没有评论:

发表评论

 
dry skin