2009年12月2日星期三

Is it possible to force a lilac to bloom in warmer climates?

I didn't pay anything for these lilacs, however, they came from my mother's grave site. We moved 500 miles from where she is buried and I wanted to take some of her favorite flowers with me when we moved. I dug up a bunch of the shoots, and planted them, we are now in zone 8. The plants are coming from zone 6. I understand that the borderline for lilacs to bloom is zone 7.


Is there anything I can do to force them or encourage them to bloom?


Or has anyone had any luck with lilacs in zone 8?





I appreciate any information!Is it possible to force a lilac to bloom in warmer climates?
As a landscaper in zone 8b, I can tell you lilacs do not even grow where temps are too high. They simply melt in the heat. I have heard that if you dump a tray of ice cubes at the base of the bush daily, you can keep them alive. Worth a try, I guess.Is it possible to force a lilac to bloom in warmer climates?
With a lot of fuss, you could get them to bloom. You could refridgerate the bulbs for 2-3 months each year, and then pot them up and enjoy them. They would need feeding and care after the flowers fade so they gain enough energy to do it again the following year.





If you want to do that - the older kind of refridgerators work best for that. The new, ';frost-free'; kind tend to pull too much moisture out of the bulbs. You have to be careful when storing them - finding the right conditions where they don't dry out, nor get moldy.





And getting forced blub to re-bloom the following year is tricky, too. You might do better ordering fresh bulbs each fall to chill and grow each year.
  • Ltd
  • 没有评论:

    发表评论

     
    dry skin