2009年12月5日星期六

Is there something I can do to help my potted roses bloom, or am I just being impatient?

I'm brand new to gardening, just started last summer so this is my first spring with them.





I have 2 bushes, one mini rose and one ';medium'; rose, both in 8 inch ceramic pots.





I live in southern california and so far neither of them have started to produce buds, but both of them are ';purpleing'; (lol I think that's what the lady at the nursery called it?)





I've given them a small amount of rose food and am watering about every 3 days since the weather has been roughly averaging out to about 70-75 degrees.





Over the winter, I did get a little water happy with both of them and they yellowed, until I found out that I should lay off watering so much in the winter.





I'm wondering if the stress of the cold and overwatering has stunted them, and also I am curious if I should re-pot them or change the soil out(it's the same soil I put them in last year, miracle grow potting soil).





btw they are both about the same size they were last year so I don't think they need bigger pots yetIs there something I can do to help my potted roses bloom, or am I just being impatient?
I did the same thing when I started growing roses 3 years ago. The best thing to do is just let them alone for a while. It's not even May yet and roses aren't due for good solid blooms until June at least. Although I've had the odd bud or half hearted bloom because of the mad weather, the rest of the plants are just really preparing to leaf again. After pruning in the late fall or winter, they take time to strengthen their roots and then work on their foliage.


I would say keep on watering every few days (from the bottom if possible), and just give them sunshine and fresh air. We make things like gardening so difficult.... the plants really do all the hard work!

没有评论:

发表评论

 
dry skin