2009年12月2日星期三

Would This Be Ok To Get Rid Of Algae Bloom?

I recently found out that my 70 gal cichlid tank have algae bloom. I have many cichlids (some are pretty big) and I have an idea to get rid of the algae bloom fast (without chemicals). What do you guys think? Would this be a good idea?


I recently got my moms cichlids (because she is moving and gave them to me). All the fish are healthy and happy, it's just for about a couple days my tank has had algae bloom (it started before I got my mothers fish). I was thinking about completely emptying my tank and taking the gravel out and rinse the hell out of it and scrubbing the sides and everything. My mom has a 44 gal aquarium with the water still in it from when I took the fish last night. The water is very healthy and I was thinking of taking all the water from my moms tank and putting it in mine (so it has all the bacteria and stuff) and then filling the rest up with the hose and letting it settle and filter through for a few hours before putting the fish back in. I know this may stress the fish out a bit, but no matter what I do this algae bloom doesn't like to go away! Do you think that the 44 gals of water from my mothers healthy tank is enough to kick my tank back into a healthy cycle? And will it be safe to put all my cichlids back in after a few hours of it filtering? If you think this isn't a good idea, I would love to hear some ideas! I don't want to use chemicals unless I absolutely have to! I don't want anything bad happening to these fish, they are very precious to me! Thanx alot!Would This Be Ok To Get Rid Of Algae Bloom?
For a 70 gallon tank I would go out and buy myself 2 Bristlenose Pleco. That way in the future you will not have to worry about having to repeat the process. They'll just suck it all up for you. =)





However if that's not an option, I think your idea is fine so long as you use the SAME filter media from your mother's old tank since it will be the same bacteria age with the water you will be using.





BUT!





You MUST NOT rinse the gravel in CLEAN water as it will destroy whatever bacteria is in there. I would highly recommend cleaning it in the water you are taking out of your current aquarium.





Also, make sure you remember that you need to put a conditioner into the water so that the chemicals will not kill your fish (you know the chemicals that are alright to us but not to fish found in our water).





If it it is possible, depending on the number of filters and buckets, I would also suggest putting your cichlids into buckets with running filters so they are having continuously oxygenated water (because of the movement on top). And if you have plants, also add a couple of plants into each bucket to keep a little bit calmer.








Good luck and I hope things will work out for you. =)Would This Be Ok To Get Rid Of Algae Bloom?
put the cichlid a separate tank for awhile and give it the treatment, just to be on the safe side
Rinse your filter out in some aquarium water, DO a LARGE WATER CHANGE about 50% or more. Clean decorations. and Cut the time you have the light on to only 5-6 hours a day. Add some fast growing live plants will also help be cause they compete for the needed plant food and win over the Algae.





You could look into a UV light filter. It kills the Algae.








Don't tear the tank down because then you will have to wait 6-8 weeks till it is cycled.





Just cut down on the amount of light the tank gets and do Regular water changes Large ones. 2 times a week or more.





green algae is mainly caused by too much light. IF you don't have live plants You could black out your tank for 3 days. Cover it let NO light in for 3 days. Then do a large water changes and that should work.
to me, it sounds like a very bad idea.....





first, there is zero beneficial bacteria in water. Fish live and die by the bio-media in the filter. where the filter goes, the fish go.





fish hate 100% new water, that's why when transferring fish, as much of the established water column should go with them.





as well you create algae not the fish, i have tons of tanks 100% algae free with no extra work, just a little prevention.





sounds to me your tank is way way overstocked and over fed and the extra ammonia the fish are producing is allowing the algae to flourish along with some indirect lighting.





20% weekly water changes with vacuum graveling will help alot. Feed the fish a little less as well. An underfed fish is far healthier than an overfed fish.





if you take the gravel out, replace it with sand. its far better..uneaten food can't sink into it and rot, waste aswell dissolves much better for your filter to eat. Just a suggestion. Sand overall just keeps tanks cleaner than gravel and it look great and some cichlids love it.





Your current situation i would do this..





Lightly scrub the tank down, get all the algae in the water, do a good gravel vacuum with a 30% water change ( I know that's big for a 70 gallon). clean the filter with aquarium water and remove any carbon you may use.





fill up the tank..





now it's arts and craft time. You need to do whats called a algae blackout. You have to turn the lights off and cover the entire tank with garbage bags for 3 days. 3 days zero lights. Don;t feed the fish either.





this will kill the majority of the algae cells.





after 3days take the bags of, do a 20% water change while vaccuuming gravel again. This will put a super major dent in the algae as it can't survive 3 days with zero light and will die with no chemicals needed.





you amy want to get the 44 gallon set up elsewhere and put some fish in it.











good luck!!!

没有评论:

发表评论

 
dry skin