2009年12月2日星期三

If I plant lily bulbs now, will they bloom this year or should I just get the already grown plants?

I'm redoing my garden and I am needing like 50 lilies (big garden). Should I just wait and buy them from the store, or go ahead and plant bulbs now? I'm kind of new to bulbs so I'm not real sure what to do. I usually just buy the little 6-pack container of flowers from lowes or walmart. Thanks for any help!If I plant lily bulbs now, will they bloom this year or should I just get the already grown plants?
Summer flowering lily bulbs are fine to be planted in spring. Autumn planted bulbs are spring flowering, which doesn't really include lilies.





Lilium Regale is an incredible white lily, that has a powerful scent.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/pl鈥?/a>





Otherwise, it's fine to shop at places like Walmart for bulbs, as they can have some good prices. Tips for choosing good lily bulbs, are to look for firm bulbs, the larger the better, as they will contain this summer's flowers inside the bulb, and avoid any with damage, including rotting, mould etc.





There are online shops too, where they may have some interesting varieties for you:


http://www.bdlilies.com/





The following ship their bulbs throughout the USA from April - they also guarantee their bulbs, which is a good thing for a first time grower-


http://www.lilybulb.com/spicyorientals.h鈥?/a>





You can also grow lilies from seed, though they wouldn't flower this year. Thompson and Morgan are a famous international seeds co, and have some in their range.


http://www.tmseeds.com/





Hope these thoughts help. Good luck! RobIf I plant lily bulbs now, will they bloom this year or should I just get the already grown plants?
Do not plant bulbs now, it is too late. You need to plant bulbs about six weeks before freezing temperatures. You can either buy the already grown plants now, or wait until fall and plant bulbs that will bloom next spring.
Well, it really depends where the location is. The reason is because it takes time to grow, and for it to grow, you got to let it grow in places that are in good condtition. So, it will be better to just buy the grown one because it is easy to manage.
Ones planted now are likelier to bloom next year. Get some of each and you'll be ready for this summer and for next.





The Muse

没有评论:

发表评论

 
dry skin