2010年6月24日星期四

I'm looking for some really unusual and eye catching flowers to plant which will bloom in the heat of summer.

I'd like to have blooms in late July and August. My flower garden seems to peter out after spring and early summer. Any Ideas?I'm looking for some really unusual and eye catching flowers to plant which will bloom in the heat of summer.
You didn't say what your gardening zone is. I'm a zone 6a and some of my gardens most unique blooms are in the fall. I have turtlehead, monkshood,toadlilies and great blue lobelia. Also, the tall candlelabra type blooms of snakeroot is awesome. All but the toadlily are native plants.I'm looking for some really unusual and eye catching flowers to plant which will bloom in the heat of summer.
red hot pokers are vivid and unusual looking also canna lilys bloom up til frost and are a great addition for late summer blooms. i've seen red, orange and yellow ones. hummingbirds love the red ones. late summer is a good time for mums and annuals such as marigolds and zinnias
Russian Sage


Coreopsis


Echinacea


Leucanthemum


Gallardia
My two favorites are nasturtium and hibiscus. Hibiscus comes in a few varieties. When I checked my local greenhouse they had shrub, tree and tropical varieties. I advise you to check into flowers that grow best in tropical climates. You want something that grows best in the heat of the summer. Impatients bloom like crazy at this time but they are not very unusual. Although you can get them in a variety of brilliant colors.
I have a nice stand of dahlias that are really coming on nicely as are the galdiolos and the canas. This is the first year I tried hibiscus. The plants are getting big but no blossoms yet.





Good luck with your choice.
Black-eyed Susan (perennial). Zinnias (short or tall). Cosmos. Marigolds. Cleome. Hibiscus.

没有评论:

发表评论

 
dry skin